- - this song has sheet music
- Midi - this song has a Midi tune
- MP3 - this song has an MP3 recording
- - this song has a Video recording
About the Iroquois
The Iroquois are a Native American tribe who currently live in parts of Canada, and the United States. The tribe was originally largely based in upstate New York.
During the height of their power, the Iroquois controlled most of what is now the Northeast United States and Canada. During the American Revolution, they sided with the British. After the war, the Americans invaded their US lands. As a consequence, many of them migrated to Canada, where another group of Iroquois was already located. Now, half of the Iroquois live in Canada and the other half in the US.
The Iroquois call themselves the Haudenosaunee, which means People of the Long House. Their primary dwellings were literally long houses, in which about 10 families or so could live.
They cultivated crops and hunted.
The Iroquois are also known as the Six Nations because they consist of six member tribes: the Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Mohawk, Oneida and Tuscarora.
The Iroquoian language group consists of eleven languages, including those of the tribes listed above and also the Cherokee language. This leads linguists to believe that the Cherokee were once a part of the Iroquois.
- We’d love it if you’d join the Mama Lisa Facebook Group. You can post anything you’d like about your culture. You can post your own musical recordings or YouTube videos… Links to culture and musical sites… Photos of your country… Questions about songs or cultural issues… Anything related to World Culture and Music… Click on […] Read more »
- In addition to this blog, I also host Mama Lisa’s World. Mama Lisa’s World is a large collection of children’s songs and rhymes from countries all around the globe. Matt, a music teacher from Rhode Island, wrote a question to me, the other day, about Mama Lisa’s World: Hey Mama, I love the concept of […] Read more »
- A significant part of the Mama Lisa sites is a large collection of songs and nursery rhymes from around the world. We currently have about 750 songs from around 90 countries and cultures. When you consider how many languages there are in those cultures – that’s a lot of information! In order to make it […] Read more »